Communications and Development Manager
ABOUT GLOBAL DETROIT
Global Detroit is a regional economic and community development organization. We develop and implement immigrant-inclusive strategies to drive the growth, revitalization and broadly shared prosperity of Detroit and Southeast Michigan.
Global Detroit is a nationally recognized leader in building inclusive economic development strategies that begin with immigrant families and entrepreneurs, as well as international students and global talent, and lead to lasting change for our region. Cities and regions that are welcoming to immigrants are vibrant. They have strong neighborhoods, competitive companies, successful small businesses, and a rich and diverse cultural life. By intentionally including immigrants in our economic development strategies, we aim to spark growth, revitalization and sustained prosperity in Detroit and throughout Southeast Michigan.
JOINING THE GLOBAL DETROIT TEAM
We are a group of thinkers and doers from Detroit and all over the world. We work strategically to build an equitable economy where immigrants are valued and meaningfully included. As a member of the Global Detroit team, you will have a chance to flex your creative muscles, step outside of what is expected and find new solutions to old problems. We welcome energetic and innovative thought leaders to apply!
COMMUNICATIONS & DEVELOPMENT MANAGER OVERVIEW
Global Detroit seeks a highly motivated, collaborative and detail-oriented team member to oversee the day-to-day operations of our communications, fund development and data/metrics collection efforts. While these efforts are distinct, involving support and collaboration across teams, they all directly advance our storytelling, fundraising and articulation of impact. The person in this role will be well versed in focusing on the task at hand while also clearly understanding the ways these arenas intersect to further our work. The Communications & Development Manager will have the support of the Chief Operations Officer, the Communications Director and others on the team, but will also independently own many of their responsibilities, with room to explore new tactics and creative ideas.
Serve as a vital member of the communications team, which will include the following responsibilities:
- Maintain daily responsibility for all social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram), with support from Communications Director and design staff
- Oversee creation and distribution of regular enews and other eblasts
- Contribute to Global Detroit blog and other storytelling vehicles
- Execute website updates
- Proactively and substantially contribute to overall digital media strategy
- Support Global Detroit in the development of webinars, presentations and other events
- Manage contract photographers and videographers
Working closely with the Executive Director, senior leadership and the Global Detroit Board, the Communications and Development Manager will will be responsible for the following:
- Serve as project manager and creative thought partner for annual fundraising event: manage sponsor outreach and ticket sales processes, and project manage and serve as an active member of the event planning team
- Proactively manage grants and donor cultivation calendars, serving as an accountability partner for the Executive Director and other senior leadership
- Serve as fundraising liaison to the Board of Directors and the board’s Fund Development Committee
- Assist with donor and funder prospecting
- Proactively and accurately document all funder and donor activity in shared documents folders and CRM and help senior leadership leverage this information to identify cultivation opportunities
Data and Information Systems
Assist data and information systems team in the following areas:
- Work with staff to ensure that program and fund development data are collected and managed appropriately, contributing to accurate reporting, communications and fund development efforts.
- Support projects related to data and information management. This may include:
- Be a thought partner in designing new information management tools and processes
- Clean, prepare and enter data into data management systems when needed
- Develop tools and resources to aid staff in data management tasks
when needed, train staff on new tools and processes and provide technical support during implementation
- Work with staff to identify goals and challenges related to data and information management, communications, process/workflow, etc. and escalate or investigate issues and opportunities for improvement when appropriate.
- Support in the design and development of training materials, process documentation and other resources to help ensure successful data and information management over time.
To fulfill this role successfully, we are looking for candidates with the following:
- At least two years of experience in a communications, marketing or fund development. Internship and volunteer experience will be considered.
- Excellent project management skills
- Demonstrated aptitude with digital media strategies, voice and platforms, including all major social media platforms, website CMS, and Mailchimp or other email marketing tools
- Basic graphic design capabilities and familiarity with Canva
- General understanding of fundraising and donor cultivation best practices (and an eagerness to learn more!)
- Basic data management skills and a strong attention to detail
- Ability to make thoughtful decisions, while remaining adaptable, flexible and open in a fast-paced and evolving workplace
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and the ability to perform in a multicultural setting
- Basic photography and video skills (including video editing) or enthusiasm for learning strongly desired
- Experience with nonprofit organizations (as staff, board member or volunteer) also a plus
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This position is a full- time (40 hours/week) salaried position. Salary will range between $45,500 and $55,000 per year, depending on experience, and will include benefits. The Global Detroit team is currently working remotely, but this position will ultimately be based in Detroit, with the option for hybrid hours (partial office time, partial remote).
Global Detroit offers a comprehensive health care plan, including vision and dental; a retirement plan with a 2% employer contribution; 16 days of PTO for starting employees and 11 paid holidays. Global Detroit employees also enjoy time off for a winter break between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Please upload a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position and unique qualifications to our job portal.