Request for applicants | November 2022
About Global Detroit
Global Detroit is a regional economic and community development organization. We develop and implement immigrant-inclusive strategies to drive the growth, revitalization and broadly shared prosperity of Detroit and Southeast Michigan. Global Detroit is in the process of expanding its work, including expanding our talent programs statewide, as well as launching a new national center for immigrant economic development.
Welcoming cities and regions are vibrant communities with strong neighborhoods, competitive companies, successful small businesses, and a rich and diverse cultural life. By intentionally including immigrants in our economic development strategies, we aim to spark growth, revitalization and sustained prosperity in Detroit, Southeast Michigan and across our state. We work as trusted connectors, architects of ideas and change agents to build a high-growth, prosperous and inclusive regional economy.
Joining the Global Detroit Team
Global Detroit is a nationally recognized leader in building inclusive economic development strategies that begin with immigrant families and entrepreneurs, as well as international students and global talent, and lead to lasting change for our region. We are a group of thinkers and doers from Detroit and all over the world. We work strategically to build an equitable economy where immigrants are valued and meaningfully included.
As a member of the Global Detroit team, you will have a chance to flex your creative muscles, step outside of what is expected and find new solutions to old problems. We welcome energetic and innovative thought leaders to apply!
The Communications Director leads all aspects of Global Detroit’s communications activity and strategy, including digital and social media, earned media, email newsletters, public presentations, and communications strategies around research reports, opinion pieces and programs.. The Communications Director will also significantly contribute to, and sometimes lead, special communications projects (e.g., research and advocacy, fund development campaigns, etc.). Global Detroit also manages web presence for related entities including the Southeast Michigan Immigrant and Refugee Collaborative), Welcoming Michigan and the Global Entrepreneur in Residence (Global EIR) National Peer Network.
Given the plan to expand Global Detroit’s talent programs in 2023, it is expected that statewide communications efforts will be important.
The Communications Director manages a team of staff and external contractors to implement the communications work. The Communications Director will report to Global Detroit’s Managing Director. This position is based in Michigan and will work out of the Detroit office. Currently, Global Detroit staff is still working remotely, although plans for a hybrid work model with more in-person gatherings are being developed.
- Build and manage Global Detroit’s annual Communications Strategy, encompassing social, digital and earned media strategies for the organization overall, and for individual programs and departments. The strategy should include developing messaging priorities and strategies, identifying key audiences, and utilizing appropriate platforms to achieve the plans goals.
- Develop and manage an annual Communications Calendar to drive planning and ongoing project management. Engage with staff to gather and incorporate input. The Communications Calendar should include key deadlines, milestones, and campaigns throughout the year, and will inform a more detailed Content Calendar and ongoing sprint and task management.
- Develop strategies and systems to support the team’s communications needs and empower staff to capture and create more original content.
- Manage Global Detroit’s overall brand identity, including managing written and visual brand assets, creating and implementing written and visual brand guidelines and rolling out other tools and training for staff. Manage Global Detroit’s websites, including ongoing updates and changes, and more substantial ones. Scope, procure and manage larger website projects as needed.
- Incorporate Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) into all aspects of Global Detroit’s communications, and ensure that all of our communications efforts are culturally competent and reflective of the vastly complex social, economic, and political environment of our work.
- Manage the Communications Team, including managing any full-time staff members on the team, as well as overseeing all ongoing communications projects, staff and contractors.
- Support Global Detroit’s fundraising activity, including an annual event and individual giving campaign(s).
- Oversee and manage the production of Global Detroit’s annual report, including developing the report’s strategy; identifying platform/s for publication; key audiences, themes and messages; working with the team to pull all content, including data and other outcomes; writing and editing copy; selecting and managing contract designers and other staff supporting the project; etc.
Required Skills and Experience
To fulfill this role successfully, we are looking for candidates with the following:
- Minimum bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- Minimum five years of experience in the field of communications, including experience with multiple vehicles and complex messaging. Minimum two years’ experience in a communications leadership or strategy role.
- Excellent writing skills across a variety of styles, platforms and audiences. Demonstrated aptitude and experience with digital media strategies, voice and tools, including all major social media platforms, websites and email marketing tools.
- Strong familiarity with concepts in brand identity, graphic design and website design.
- Strong team management, interpersonal communication and relationship skills with an ability to motivate, coordinate and support a team.
- Highly strategic, entrepreneurial leader with excellent planning, organizational and project management skills with the ability to set priorities, plan and coordinate activities.
- Flexible, open and able to multitask and manage demands on time in a fast-paced and evolving workplace.
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) and comfortable communicating with a broad array of audiences, partners and community members.
- Experience working with journalists and other media professionals.
- Ability to attend after hours events and travel, as needed.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree.
- Experience designing or leading nonprofit communications, including communications supporting fundraising efforts.
- Experience working in immigrant inclusion, welcoming or economic development.
- Able to draw on an existing network of contacts, including journalists and others in the media, contract writers, designers, photographers, etc.
- Knowledge of Michigan corporate, business, economic development and human resource communities.
- Experience with graphic design, website management and/or social media management.
- Experience writing research reports and/or for policy advocacy.
- Grant writing skills and experience.
- Experience with communications that support individual fundraising.
Salary will range between $60,000 and $75,000 per year, depending on experience, and will include benefits.
Click here to submit an application by 5pm EST Wednesday, December 7, 2022, including PDF copies of your resume and cover letter.
For additional information on Global Detroit visit www.globaldetroitmi.org.