Global Entrepreneurship in Residence
National Peer Network, Program Manager
Request for applicants | December 2021
Global Detroit is a nationally recognized leader in building inclusive economic development strategies that begins with immigrant families and entrepreneurs, as well as international students and global talent, and leads to lasting change for our region. We are a group of thinkers and doers from Detroit and all over the world. We work strategically to build an equitable economy where immigrants are valued and meaningfully included. As a member of the Global Detroit team, you will have a chance to flex your creative muscles, to step outside of what is expected, and to find new solutions to old problems. We welcome energetic and innovative thought leaders to apply!
PROGRAM MANAGER OVERVIEW
Global Detroit seeks a dynamic and entrepreneurial manager to help lead and grow a national peer network of Global Entrepreneurs in Residence (Global EIR) programs. Local Global EIR programs assist immigrant entrepreneurs who are primed to start, run and grow startup businesses by providing a pathway to launch companies in the U.S. by placing them with colleges and universities to mentor and teach. While the founders add to the educational work and mission at the colleges and universities with whom they work, they are able to work on the growth and development of their startup outside of their employment. Ultimately, the programs seek to enhance and bolster the nation’s innovation economy by creating high growth companies with good-paying jobs.
Global Detroit has received funding from the Kauffman Foundation to develop a national peer network of local Global EIR programs and their supporters. The national network will build and enhance relationships between peer programs, their staff and supporters, as well as the startup founders they support. The network hopes to convene three times in the next 18 months and will develop systems to track collective impact, as well as to enhance narrative and storytelling among Global EIR programs. Finally, the network will develop a joint advocacy campaign around the creation of a startup visa.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position responsible for managing the operations of Global EIR national peer network program and overseeing the development and growth of the network. Management includes ensuring that goals and objectives for the program are being met, cultivating and maintaining relationships with peer Global EIR programs and supporters, collecting and curating support materials for local Global EIR programs, developing a system for shared metrics and storytelling, creating a communications strategy for the network and its members, as well as putting together an advocacy campaign for a startup visa.
- Work with the Global Detroit Executive Director to develop and maintain relationships with Global EIR national peer network colleagues, including staff from other Global EIR programs, national Global EIR supporters, immigrant founders and others.
- Work with team to develop three national convenings for the Global EIR national peer network.
- Develop a library of shared materials to support local Global EIR programs.
- Support the development of shared evaluation and tracking mechanisms for the national peer network Global EIR members, including both tracking program outputs, outcomes and impacts, as well as shared narrative and storytelling.
- Work to develop and implement an advocacy campaign for Global EIR national peer network and supporters to advocate for a national startup visa.
- Work with Global Detroit’s Global EIR, talent and communications teams to align work on the national level with our local Global EIR, talent and communications work and programs in Southeast Michigan so that they are mutually supportive.
- Work with Executive Director to secure funding and other supports to expand the Global EIR program across the region and state.
- Attend after hours events and travel, as needed.
To fulfill this role successfully, we are looking for candidates with the following:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience managing projects
- Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to set priorities, plan, and coordinate activities
- Excellent communications skills, with particular competence in interpersonal communication, speaking publicly and adapting messages based on the given audience
- Proven ability to build relationships and establish credibility and rapport
- Ability to make thoughtful decisions, while remaining adaptable in a fast-paced and evolving workplace
- Flexible and open, willing to adjust to a fast-paced and evolving workplace
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and the ability to perform in multicultural settings
- Experience or knowledge of the startup, venture capital and innovation economies is desirable
This position is a full- time (40 hours/week) salaried position. Salary will range between $45,500 and $55,000 per year, depending on experience, and will include benefits.
Send resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position and unique qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Last name, First name, Global EIR National Network, Program Manager”. In your cover letter, please speak to your experience in managing networks, why you want to be part of the Global Detroit team and your earliest potential start date.
Global Detroit offers a comprehensive health care plan, including vision and dental; a retirement plan with a 2% employer contribution; 16 days of PTO for starting employees and 11 paid holidays. Global Detroit employees also enjoy time off for a winter break between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
For additional information on Global Detroit visit www.globaldetroitmi.org and for additional information on our Global EIR program go to https://globaldetroitmi.org/geir/. You also may learn more about Global EIR programs by visiting our national collaborator Global EIR’s website at www.globaleir.org.