Small Business Development Program Manager
Request for applicants | November 2022
About Global Detroit
Global Detroit is a regional economic and community development organization. We develop and implement immigrant-inclusive strategies to drive the growth, revitalization and broadly shared prosperity of Detroit and Southeast Michigan.
Cities and regions that are welcoming to immigrants are vibrant. They have strong neighborhoods, competitive companies, successful small businesses, and a rich and diverse cultural life. By intentionally including immigrants in our economic development strategies, we will spark growth, revitalization and sustained prosperity in Detroit and throughout Southeast Michigan.
We are trusted connectors, architects of ideas and change agents working to build a high-growth, prosperous and inclusive regional economy.
Joining the Global Detroit Team
Working through many levers – research, strategy, communications, storytelling, and program implementation – Global Detroit is a nationally-recognized leader in creating meaningful economic change that begins with individual immigrant residents, entrepreneurs, and international students and ends by generating huge dividends for our region. We are risk-takers, trailblazers, and agitators. To work on the Global Detroit team is to flex your creative muscles, to step outside of what is expected, and to find new solutions to old problems. We believe that we can lead – through a strategic approach – an inclusive economy where immigrants are valued and included. We welcome energetic and innovative thought leaders to apply!
Global Detroit seeks a dynamic team member to support our Opportunities Neighborhood program to assist immigrant entrepreneurs and small business owners with the support, training and resources to thrive. Global Detroit is looking for a passionate, entrepreneurial, and driven team member who believes that inclusion is a superior model for economic growth.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative, self-starter with creative and analytical skills, and a highly detailed individual who can prioritize, motivate and manage others. This individual thrives in a dynamic environment and is comfortable with change and a culture of teamwork and growth, within our organization and beyond. They must be a strong communicator with proven skills in project management, and the ability to initiate, refine, and implement multiple projects.
Reporting to the Director of Opportunity Neighborhood Programs, this full-time role provides an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic team at an established, growing nonprofit organization that sits at the forefront of inclusive economic development in Southeast Michigan. The primary function of this position is to connect entrepreneurs with the resources to launch businesses in the Detroit area and gain support and involvement from ecosystem partners and business resource organizations.
Candidates must also demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; possess the ability to perform in multicultural settings; and exhibit cultural competency with a range of diverse stakeholders.
80% Duties and Responsibilities
The Program Manager is responsible for delivering, managing, and implementing Global Detroit small business programs and services, including outreach, facilitation, delivery, and achieving program goals and objectives.
- Conduct outreach and develop relationships with community partners (both established and new), working to engage more immigrant entrepreneurs and attend community meetings and events
- Facilitate with preliminary client assessment and evaluate individual and business strength and weaknesses in developing services and strategies for improvement
- Serve as a facilitator for the delivery of programs; provide entrepreneurial/small business support
- Assist in the development and implementation of special events/workshops and when necessary, represent Global Detroit and community events
- Work with the Opportunity Neighborhood Program Coordinators and teams to develop a cohesive continuum of services for entrepreneurs at each level of business
- Work with the team to ensure program quality, consistency and integrity across the organization, program partners and small business ecosystem
- Monitor grant requirements for compliance; implement plans to meet deliverables; and generate program outcomes and report progress
- Manage team members
- Support Global Detroit’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through all programs, activities, and management decisions
- Recruit, vet, manage and continue to engage volunteer instructors and advisors
- Other duties as assigned
- Special projects as needed
20% Additional Activities
- Collaborate with other programs and team members to develop strategies to integrate learnings into overall Global Detroit strategies, programs and resources
- Assist with Opportunity neighborhood program evaluation needs, support evaluation design, implementation, and reporting
- Contribute to reports or summaries of program outcomes and impacts for grants and Global Detroit produced content (e.g. blog, website, newsletter)
- Stay abreast of small business and overall economic development issues and trends in Detroit and national as well as overall immigrant integration efforts and policies
- Track and participate in additional programs and events with strategic partners, including some travel to conferences
- Plan, design and provide day-of support for meetings, workshops and other events
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college
- Minimum three years of experience in nonprofit management, economic development, project management, entrepreneurship, community engagement or related field
- Demonstrated success in engaging with small business resources, processes and policies examples include supporting small business with capital readiness, technical assistant, and partner engagement
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing complex systems and tools
- Strong planning, organizational and project management skills with the ability to set priorities, plan, prioritize, and coordinate activities
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and able to perform in multicultural settings; exhibits cultural competency with a range of diverse stakeholders including immigrants and other minorities
- Strong ability to build relationships; outgoing and engaging with great interpersonal communication skills
- Comfortable giving presentations and adapting messages based on the audience
- Knowledge of Southeast Michigan business ecosystem
- Well versed in Google Docs, Drive, Sheets, Slides, etc
- Proficient in Salesforce, Notion or other CRM platforms
- Ability to attend after hours events and travel, as needed
- Able to make decisions, while remaining adaptable in a fast-paced and evolving workplace
- Self-starter, ability to multitask, and manage demands on time
- Foreign language abilities are a plus (fluency in Spanish, Arabic or Bangla preferred)
Salary and Benefits
This position is a full-time (40 hour per week) salaried position. Salary will range between $55,000 and $60,000 per year, depending on experience, and will include benefits.
Global Detroit offers a comprehensive health care plan, including vision and dental; a retirement plan with a 2% employer contribution; 16 days of PTO for starting employees and 11 paid holidays. Global Detroit employees also enjoy time off for a winter break between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
The Global Detroit team is currently working remotely, but this position will ultimately be based in Detroit, with the option for hybrid hours (partial office time, partial remote).
Click here to submit an application, including PDF copies of your resume and cover letter.
For additional information on Global Detroit and our Opportunity Neighborhoods Programs, please visit http://www.globaldetroitmi.org.