Request for applicants | June 2023
About Global Detroit
Global Detroit is a regional economic and community development organization. We develop and implement immigrant-inclusive strategies to drive the growth, revitalization and broadly shared prosperity of Detroit and Southeast Michigan. Cities and regions that are welcoming to immigrants are vibrant. They have strong neighborhoods, competitive companies, successful small businesses, and a rich and diverse cultural life. By intentionally including immigrants in our economic development strategies, we aim to spark growth, revitalization, and sustained prosperity in Detroit and throughout Southeast Michigan. We work as trusted connectors, architects of ideas and change agents to build a high-growth, prosperous and inclusive regional economy.
Joining the Global Detroit Team
Global Detroit is a nationally recognized leader in creating meaningful economic development that begins with immigrant families and entrepreneurs, as well as international students and global talent, and leads to lasting change for our region. We are a group of thinkers and doers from Detroit and all over the world. We believe that we can build–through a strategic approach—an equitable economy where immigrants are valued and meaningfully included. As a member of the Global Detroit team, you will have a chance to flex your creative muscles, to step outside of what is expected, and to find new solutions to old problems. We welcome energetic and innovative thought leaders to apply!
The Accountant supports Global Detroit’s strategic and critical financial decisions by collecting, tracking, and correcting the organization’s finances. Their main duties include managing and tracking accounting transactions and grant awards, conducting financial analysis, preparing financial reports, conducting reconciliations and month-end closings, preparing for, and supporting, tax and audit processes, and supporting the continuous improvement of Global Detroit’s financial operations. Reporting to the Operations Director, the Accountant will work with the operations and leadership teams to implement and refine Global Detroit’s financial processes in support of Global Detroit’s broader financial strategy. This is a part-time position.
Manage and Track Accounting Transactions and Grant Awards
- Make bank deposits and assign all deposit sources account codes.
- Review check requests for account designation, grant class, and proper accounting treatment
- Set up and record awarded grants and contract invoices as receivables, as well as record grant and contract payments.
- Allocate payroll across grants.
- Review and correctly book credit card expenses, ensuring the proper allocation between restricted funding sources (grants, contracts, etc.) and unrestricted sources, by G/L line items.
- Track restricted grant expenses to allocate salaries, benefits, and other allocable costs, communicate information to grant managers, and attend periodic grant managers meeting.
- Track fixed assets and depreciation.
- Check PayPal monthly and transfer funds into bank account, also assign all PayPal donors to account codes.
- Process all check requests, including sending (in the case of there being a bookkeeper) check requests and all documentation to bookkeeper (if applicable) and saving materials in appropriate vendor files.
- Obtain signatures and mail or deliver all checks not using bill.com
- Create invoices.
Reporting and Analysis
- Monitor cash flow.
- Generate monthly internal financial statements for appropriate users, including grant budget updates, P&L statements, balance sheets, budget-to-actuals and additional reports for grant applications and reporting as needed.
- Consult and assist on issues including compensation and benefits, taxes, accounting issues, budgets, projections, policies and procedures, QuickBooks utilization as requested.
- Prepare annual state reports and solicitations forms.
Continuous Improvement and Troubleshooting
- Recommend processes for time tracking against grants, something automated that would also reduce errors of incorrect coding (like charging a person’s time to the incorrect grants, etc.)
- Recommend financial SOPs to Operations Director that would improve the efficiency and transparency of Global Detroit’s financial management, analysis, and reporting.
Tax Returns and Audits
- Prepare books for audit, serve as on-site liaison with auditors, and be present on audit field workdays, as necessary.
- Possibly prepare Form 1099-MISC annually (although this may be done by our payroll service)
- Possibly prepare annual Form 990 exempt organization tax return, including all related schedules (if not prepared by auditors)
Required Skills and Experience
To fulfill this role successfully, we are looking for candidates with the following:
- Degree or certification in applicable field
- Minimum of five years of nonprofit accounting experience, including experience with a mid-sized nonprofit organization with multiple funding sources and revenue types (e.g., grant, fee for service, and government)
- Proficiency in QuickBooks, Excel, and basic email and internet applications
- Detailed- and process-oriented, with the ability to create processes where none may exist to help facilitate the completion or improvement of the work.
- Ability to work independently and in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with diverse groups of people.
- A passion for social justice work and the elevation of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging is considered an advantage.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, business management, or related field
- Certificate in Business Accounting preferred, but not required.
- CPA (Certified Public Accountant) certification preferred, but not required.
Salary and Benefits
This position is a part-time (20 hours/ week) hourly position, with up to 30 hours/ week during month-end reconciliations and audit periods. The salary will range from $20 to $38.46 per hour, depending on experience. This position does not include benefits. The Global Detroit team is currently working remotely, but this position is based in Detroit, with the option for hybrid hours (partial office time, partial remote time).
Submit an application here, including your resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position and unique qualifications. In your cover letter please indicate your earliest potential start date.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Global Detroit team is currently working remotely, but this position will ultimately be based in Detroit, with the option for hybrid hours (partial office time, partial remote).
Visit www.globaldetroitmi.org for additional information about Global Detroit.