Global EIR Program Manager
Request for applicants | May 2023
About Global Detroit
Global Detroit is a regional economic and community development organization. We develop and implement immigrant-inclusive strategies to drive the growth, revitalization and broadly shared prosperity of Detroit and Southeast Michigan. Cities and regions that are welcoming to immigrants are vibrant. They have strong neighborhoods, competitive companies, successful small businesses, and a rich and diverse cultural life. By intentionally including immigrants in our economic development strategies, we aim to spark growth, revitalization and sustained prosperity in Detroit and throughout Southeast Michigan. We work as trusted connectors, architects of ideas and change agents to build a high-growth, prosperous and inclusive regional economy.
Joining the Global Detroit Team
Global Detroit is a nationally recognized leader in creating meaningful economic development that begins with immigrant families and entrepreneurs, as well as international students and global talent, and leads to lasting change for our region. We are a group of thinkers and doers from Detroit and all over the world. We believe that we can build–through a strategic approach—an equitable economy where immigrants are valued and meaningfully included. As a member of the Global Detroit team, you will have a chance to flex your creative muscles, to step outside of what is expected, and to find new solutions to old problems. We welcome energetic and innovative thought leaders to apply!
Global Detroit seeks a dynamic team member to lead and help grow our Global Entrepreneurs in Residence (Global EIR) program across the state of Michigan. Global EIR assists international students and immigrant entrepreneurs who are primed to start, run and grow a business in Michigan. Global Detroit’s Global EIR program is one of a handful of initiatives designed to provide a pathway for foreign-born entrepreneurs to launch companies in the U.S. by placing them with universities to mentor and teach them, while the founders add to the educational work at the university, while working on the growth and development of their startup. Ultimately, the programs seek to enhance and bolster Michigan’s innovation economy by creating high growth companies with good-paying jobs. Global Detroit is looking for a passionate, entrepreneurial, and driven team member who believes that inclusion is a superior model for economic growth.
This is a full-time position responsible for managing the operations of the Global EIR program in areas across Michigan and working with the Southeast Michigan Global EIR program manager. Management includes ensuring that goals and objectives for the program are being met, cultivating and maintaining relationships with international entrepreneurs and leading strategic partnerships with universities, organizations in the startup ecosystem and public and private sectors rooted in the innovation economy.
- Market and recruit global entrepreneurs for eventual application to Global Entrepreneurs in Residence (Global EIR) programs across Michigan. This activity includes presenting the program to international student audiences, as well as a wide array of organizations and audiences active in the startup / innovation economy ecosystem.
- Interview, assess and help place promising global entrepreneurs with university partners in Global EIR programs.
- Recruit and support university partners to operate Global EIR programs, including conducting regular meetings with university partners, passing off promising entrepreneur leads, helping to track program impacts and to otherwise trouble-shoot problems with university partners.
- Provide regular reporting on recruitment metrics, trends, and other impactful measures that influence the sourcing and selection of talent.
- Assist in coordinating a Michigan Global EIR advisory board of university partners, startup ecosystem partners and other program supporters.
- Help conduct exit interviews and collect program data to demonstrate impact of Global EIR program.
- Work with the communications team to develop content to promote the Global EIR program.
- Work with the Executive Director to secure funding and other support to expand the Global EIR program across the region and state.
- Attend after hours events and travel, as needed.
Required Skills and Experience
To fulfill this role successfully, we are looking for candidates with the following:
- Minimum bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college or has demonstrated success in business development, entrepreneurship (especially working with startup)
- Minimum of three years of experience managing projects
- Experience working with startup businesses and in the startup ecosystem
- Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to set priorities, plan, and coordinate activities
- Experience designing and implementing complex systems and tools
- Excellent communications skills overall, particularly competent in interpersonal communication, speaking publicly and adapting messages based on the given audience
- Proven ability to build relationships and establish credibility and rapport
- Strong knowledge of Michigan’s startup business ecosystem
- Ability to make thoughtful decisions, while remaining adaptable in a fast-paced and evolving workplace
- Flexible and open, willing to adjust to a fast-paced and evolving workplace
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and the ability to perform in multicultural settings
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, human resources or equivalent
- Graduate degree in business administration, human resources or other related field
- Experience or knowledge of the startup, venture capital and innovation economie
Salary and Benefits
The Global Entrepreneurship in Residence Program Manager is a full-time (40 hours/week) salaried position. Salary will range between $42,000 and $75,000 per year, depending on experience, and will include benefits.
The Global Detroit team is currently working remotely, but this position will ultimately be based in Detroit, with the option for hybrid hours (partial office time, partial remote).
Click here to apply. Submit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position and unique qualifications. In your cover letter please indicate your earliest potential start date.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
For additional information on Global Detroit at www.globaldetroitmi.org and for additional information on our Global EIR program at https://globaldetroitmi.org/geir/. You also may learn more about Global EIR programs by visiting our national collaborator Global EIR’s website at www.globaleir.org.